Study In China - FAQ

If I want to study in China, what should I do?

Studying in China is the same as studying in other countries in the world. An international student needs to find the university/department which he/she wants to apply for, and understand the requirements and qualifications, and then begin to prepare the materials.

The basic materials for application:

  • Application form
  • Resume
  • Valid passport
  • Highest degree certification and transcript
  • Reference letter
  • Study plan
  • Good conduct / no criminal report

Entry Requirements In Chinese Universities

What are the entry requirements to Chinese universities for international students? It depends on what degree you are applying for. You must meet the minimum requirements for each degree as well as prepare and submit all required application documents correctly.

By Degree Level

Foundation ProgramsMust be 16 to 25 years old. If under 18, you need to find a guardian in China.
Bachelor's-Must have graduated from senior high school (such as A-Level or equivalent qualifications) with good grades and academic background.
-Must be under 30 years old, but some programs can be flexible.
Master's-Must have obtained a bachelor's degree.
-Must meet GPA requirements, but some programs can be flexible.
-For non-native English speakers, you may be required to submit an English Language Test Certificate such as IELTS.
PhD-Must obtained a master's degree.
-Non-native English speakers may be required to submit an English Language Test Certificate.

1. Is the cost of living in China too high?

Although prices in China are rising, the cost of living here is still favorable compared with most developed countries. You will be amazed by how comfortably you can live and how strong your purchasing power is. Compared to developed countries, the cost of living and studying in China is relatively low. Accommodation in Beijing is roughly RMB 2,000-3,000 yuan per month. An average meal costs around 30-50 yuan. The subway has a flat rate of 2 yuan and buses within the city are even cheaper. Smaller cities and those in China’s central and western regions are particularly inexpensive.

2. How can I deal with the accommodation after arriving in China if I don’t speak Chinese?

Applications for accommodation should be made to the universities before coming to China. Most universities have dormitories for foreign students.

There are many kinds of dormitories in universities, and the prices differ from each other due to the furniture and facilities. International students should apply before arriving in China. If you want to come with your families, you should consult the university in advance. Otherwise, you should take care of the accommodation by yourself. 

Students can live off-campus with the permission of the university, but should register at the local public security office within 24 hours upon arrival.

3. Tuition fees?

Tuition fees for a bachelor degree program in Chinese universities are in the range of RMB14,000 to RMB75,000 (USD2,000 to USD12,000) per academic year depending on the institution and study subject. 

4. Can I take a part-time job while studying at college?

Tuition fee is generally paid on year basis. According to relevant Chinese laws, international students studying in China are forbidden to be employed, and work-study opportunity is relatively small. So self-financed international students should make the financial preparation and ensure they can afford their tuition fees and living expenses before arriving in China.

 5. How to apply to study in China?

From the PREC's Study in China website please look for the course and university you would like to study at and send us your inquiry via below form and we will get back to you soonest possible.

6. Do I need a medical check for my Chinese visa?

For students on a short-term visa of less than 6 months such as a Tourist visa or L visa, no medical check is required.

Longer term (academic) students will need to do a medical check to covert their L visa into a Residence Permit once they are in China. It is better to have the Foreigner Physical Examination carried out in China, and the university will help you with this when you arrive. This examination includes an x-ray, an ultrasound, an ECG exam, blood test and a general examination of your health. There is a small fee incur for the medical check. 

For some nationals the Foreigner Physical Examination is a requirement for visa application, which means having the examination in advance of your arrival in China. You should print the Foreigner Physical Examination form (supplied on request by the INTO China Admissions team), take the form to a public hospital or to your physician, undergo a physical examination and have a doctor complete the form. On the first page of the form, the hospital must affix its official seal along with your photograph.

You must bring with you all the reports produced by your hospital (X-ray scans, blood test reports etc), and make sure that the photo on the Foreigner Physical Examination is also stamped by the hospital. If you do not bring the completed Foreigner Physical Examination form with stamps and accompanying reports, you will be required to have the examination redone in China. 

If you are diagnosed as having one of a certain number of diseases which prohibit entry into China (mostly very serious diseases such as AIDS), you must return to your country at your own expense.

7. When should I arrive?

For academic students it is important you arrive in China before your start date (Registration date).  If this is not possible, is it important you inform the INTO China Admissions team as soon as possible.

8. What should I pack for my studies in China?

For summer course, we would suggest packing summer clothes, sandals, sports shoes for walking excursions, shorts, T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, a hat, a light waterproof jacket, sunscreen, towels, and toiletries.

For academic students residing in China throughout the year, the temperature in China varies with the seasons. In the summer, it can experiences temperatures up to 35 to 40 degrees C whereas in the winter temperatures drop below 0 degrees C. As a result you are advised to bring a variety of clothes from t-shirts and shirts to jumpers and big coats.

Remember to pack important documentation including photocopies of your passport, visa and other ID you may have. Leave copies of these with family too as a back up. We would recommend storing credit cards separately from your passport or ID details. An electronic adapter for your electronic devices will be needed. If you require any specific medication it is advised you bring sufficient quantities with you, however relatives back home can mail you more if needed. Although western medication can be bought in China, specific types may be limited in supply.

Don't worry if you forget any gadgets or day-to-day items, it is more than likely you can buy it in China when you arrive.

9. Is there secure storage for passports, cash etc?

Students living in university accommodation on-campus resides within a building with security cameras and security staff monitoring 24/7. Rooms are safe and secure but you may choose to purchase a secure locker for your room if you prefer additional security in-room.

Contact Info

Level 35-02, Q Sentral, 2A Jalan Stesen Sentral 2, KL Sentral, 50470 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
+60 12 380 0501 (KY Lee)                            (WhatsApp and WeChat ID - ky_lee7 available)      wecharwhatsapp

Some of our Universities